SOUTHEASTERN ARIZONA JURIED ART EXHIBITION RULES
March 1 – March 29, 2012
The San Pedro River Arts Council promotes all of the arts and increases public awareness of the quality and diversity of art created in our community. We are located in southeastern Arizona, in Benson, but covering the whole of the San Pedro Valley and beyond.
STATEMENT OF INCLUSION:
This exhibition is based on the preceding mission statement as it pertains to the visual arts. The judge is a professional artist and teacher with an established reputation. A short biography is at the end of this document.
The 2012 exhibition includes two-dimensional work exclusively including paintings, drawings, mixed media and collage. This exhibition excludes photography, sculpture, jewelry and works deemed not appropriate or in compliance with Show Rules (see Eligibility below).
The San Pedro River Arts Council will determine if works submitted comply with the rules and are sutable for the exhibition. The judge will determine award winners after viewing the exhibition. All decisions are final.
- AGE: Open to artists age 18 and older.
- ORIGINAL WORK: Submitted works must be all original art, entirely the work of the artist and may consist of painting, drawings, mixed media and collage.
- EXCLUSIONS: The Show Committee may disallow the exhibition or sale of any item, which Committees considers detrimental to the good public image of the Show or does not comply with Show Rules.
GENERAL PRESENTATION FOR TWO DIMENSIONAL WORKS
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Must not exceed 48” x 48,” excluding the frame. Each piece must be framed or gallery wrapped appropriately for the medium, and must be equipped with screw eyes and wire, ready for hanging.
- IDENTIFICATION: All entries must be clearly labeled on the back when delivered, with artist’s name, title of work, medium, size and price.
- WALL TAGS: Labels (tags) will be affixed to the wall alongside your work. Tags are created by the Arts Council using the information provided in your application. Please double check your spelling and other information on your application.
APPLICATION & DEADLINE
- DEADLINE: The application deadline is midnight, February 1, 2012. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
- THE APPLICATION: The application is submitted via an interactive module found on the website: http://sprarts.org/celebrate-the-arts-2012/celebrate-the-arts-2012-exhibition-application/. The online module includes the capability to attach photographic images of your submissions as well as title of each work, its dimensions, medium, price, a brief biography of the artist and your contact information.
- AGREEMENT: Your application constitutes an agreement to exhibit, if accepted.
- Cancellation/withdrawal Policy: There are no refunds for withdrawals.
JURY SUBMISSION & FEES
- NUMBER OF ENTRIES: Up to four entries may be accepted from each artist, none of which should have been exhibited previously at Cochise College.
- NON-REFUNDABLE JURY FEES:
- San Pedro River Arts Council members: Entry fee is $15 for first entry, $10 for each additional entry up to the maximum of four.
- Non-Council members: Entry fee is $30 for first entry, $10 for each additional entry up to four. Fee includes a membership in the San Pedro River Arts Council through June 30, 2012.
- If you are not certain if your membership is current, you may check the Arts Council website at http://sprarts.org/find-an-artist/visual-arts/. This page lists all visual artists who are current members.
- PAYMENT: No application will be accepted until payment is made. The preferred method of payment is by credit card using the “Membership and Fees” window located at the top of the left sidebar of the Arts Council’s website home page, http://SPRArts.org. You do not have to be a member of PayPal to use this service. You can also pay with a check made out to San Pedro River Arts Council and mailed to San Pedro River Arts Council, PO Box 1358, Benson, AZ 85602-1358.
- ARTIST BIOGRAPHY: All artists must submit a short artist biography. The bio is submitted as part of the online application.
- NOTIFICATION: Artists will be notified of accepted works by email or telephone no later than February 17, 2012.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR
- DROP OFF TIME: FRIDAY, FEB 24, between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 pm at Cochise College, Benson Center, 1025 State Route 90, Benson AZ. Required liability statement (available at the College) must be signed before the work is left at the Center.
- PICK UP TIME: FRIDAY, MAR 30, between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Artists are required to leave the work until the above pick-up time. All work must be removed by 2:00 pm on Friday, March 30, 2012. Any unclaimed artwork will be considered a donation to the San Pedro River Arts Council. Artists may designate a person to pick up the work. Please notify the College (520 586-1981) prior to 10:00 a.m., Friday, March 30 the name of the person who will pick up your work if not picking it up personally. Work shipped to the College must be prepaid for its return in the original packing materials.
RECEPTION & AWARD PRESENTATIONS
SATURDAY, MAR 3, 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Exhibiting artists are encouraged to attend an Artists Reception with award announcements and food. The reception is free and open to the public. The reception will be immediately followed by a Cochise College sponsored appearance by J. A. Jance and a disucssion of her newest book, “Left for Dead”.
The exhibition is open to the public at no charge during regular Cochise College operating hours, Monday – Thursday, 8:00 – 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 – 3:00 p.m. and during the Opening Reception. The college is closed Saturday and Sundays.
SALES AND COMMISSIONS
- SALES: All sales are to be handled by Council representatives only. 20% of sale price will be retained on all sales as a commission to the San Pedro River Arts Council. (Retail price listed on entry forms should include the 20 percent commission).
- PURCHASE: Purchases may be made by cash, check or by PayPal (available on the premises).
- ALL WORKS MUST BE FOR SALE!
SECURITY AND LIABILITY
The San Pedro River Arts Council and Cochise College will make reasonable precautions to prevent loss or damage; however, the artist assumes all risks. The San Pedro River Arts Council and Cochise College assume no responsibility for loss or damage to any artwork, display or personal injury. Liability waiver must be signed, and accompany the delivered work.
- JUDGING: All awards (excluding the Peoples’ Choice Award) will be given based on the subjective assessment of the judge. The decision of the judge is final.
- BEST IN SHOW: Ribbon and cash award of $200.
- AWARD OF EXCELLENCE: Ribbon and cash award of $100.
- AWARD OF MERIT: Ribbon and cash award of $50.
- PEOPLES’ CHOICE AWARD: Visitors have an opportunity to vote for their favorite work in the show. The winner of the Peoples’ Choice Award will receive a ribbon. This award will be given to the winner at the end of the show.
Monte Surratt, MFA
Monte is a Fine Arts Professor and former Assistant Dean of Fine Arts at Cochise College. He has lived in the Southwest since 1956 and has an especially deep connection to the Sonoran Desert around Tucson, Arizona. The diverse and unique plants and animals, the amazing rock formations, and, above all, the light—never fail to inspire. His work ranges from oil on canvas, watercolor and charcoal drawings. Monte has a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Arizona and currently resides in Bisbee. Learn more about Monte’s work at www.sonorandogstudios.com.